Wednesday, July 6, 2011

An Introductory and Explanatory Post

Well, I have created a blog.  It probably won't be much to look at for a while ,but I might as well explain what it will be about.  Which could take a while, so sit back and get comfortable. 

Something like three years ago now, I made a little homebrew game as part of a challenge someone had posted on 4chan's traditional games board to create a game, any game, in a week's time.  There was no requirement on overall quality.  So, being a bit caught up in the craziness of it, I decided to make a game based upon mecha musume.  Since Strike Witches was big at the time, I specifically made it based on girls with airplane parts. And thus, Dive into the Sky was born.  It sucked.  A lot.  The rules were unbalanced and not all that great. 

Still, it was popular enough to get some amount of interest, and I'm never one to completely abandon a good idea.  I resolved to go back and fix or remake the game, but I never got around to it.  Some distraction or another always seemed to come up.  And then I got bored at work a couple months ago and started working on a complete revamp of my game during some of my time previously spent being bored.  Took me a few months to get something put together.  The fruits of my labor may be found right here.

Now, this game is far from complete, and I think it's got some holes that need fixing.  The main purpose of this blog is as a way for me to rant about any current development work as it happens, in the form of weekly updates or so.  This will hopefully be a good thing for a few reasons.  First, anyone who actually likes the game can give swift feedback.  Second, this blog's mere existence will help get my game out there and thus get more people testing it.  Third, I have this funny habit where if I don't get my thoughts down on paper or discuss them with others, I'll keep second-guessing myself. 

But wait, there's more!  I have another plan for a game.  Dive into the Sky is at a stage where it needs to be playtested and any minor tweaks or fixes made, so it's not completely unbalanced and provides good fun.  I have an idea for another game which is far less further along.  Similar to Dive into the Sky (AKA DitS, if I ever use that abbreviation), in that it will deal with mecha musume, this game will not deal only with aircraft.  It will be modeled more after Cosmic Break or Busou Shinki, with a dash or two of Armored Core.  What this means is more crunch, a big emphasis on different pieces of equipment, and some other things.  I will be posting about this project as it develops.  First thing probably being a working title for it.

And that's the main focus of this blog.  A place for me to post rants about RPGs I'm working on in my spare time.  As the descriptive subtitle suggests, there may be other things I post about as well.  I draw, and might as well post my art here.  If I write any bits of fiction, I'll post them, too.  And if I have any general rants about games I'm playing or physics or whatever, I'll post those too, if I think they'd be interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment